Non-Profit Shouldn't Mean No Money: Diversified Funding Strategies for Increasing Revenue
Description: Attendees will learn from two staff members of Opportunity Enterprises how this agency serving individuals with disabilities has diversified their funding by adding four social enterprises to its revenue production. We'll look at how this and grant funding work together to produce a strong non-profit built to weather the funding 'storms'.
* attendees will learn about Opportunity Enterprises mission and the social enterprises that help support the organization
* attendees will learn steps to identify potential enterprise solutions
* attendees will learn pitfalls to avoid in creating for-profit components of the agency
* attendees will identify opportunities for diversified funding in their own agencies
* attendees will ideate with peers in small groups to develop actionable ideas for their own agencies
* attendees will take home a plan for creating for-profit enterprises within their organization
Benefits to grant pros:
* understand how diversified funding streams support grant solicitation, award, and management
* analyze their own agency operations for ways to bring in additional revenue (good for showing "support from other funders")
* consultants will understand the inner workings of an agency setting to better consult with their clients
* opportunity to ask questions of those who've already been successful in the process
GPC Competencies Addressed:
Strategies for effective program and project design and development
How to research, identify, and match funding resources to meet specific needs
Organizational development as it pertains to grant seeking
Becky has been the grantwriter for Opportunity Enterprises since January 2017, previously serving as grantwriter at two other agencies. Along with grantwriting, she handles marketing and communications for OE. Becky has over 20 years experience in non-profits. She is the Vice President of the Grant Professionals Foundation, is a contributor to #GrantChat, and tweets under @NonprofitBecky. She enjoys bringing for-profit knowledge from her Valpo MBA to the non-profit arena.
Peter Wilson is Chief Operating Officer for Opportunity Enterprises. He believes social enterprises are an effective and sustainable model to fund social transformation causes. Utilizing over ten years of for-profit sector experience, Peter assisted the Opportunity Enterprises' social enterprises to increase gross profit 87% in 24 months. Peter has a Bachelor's degree from Purdue and an MBA from Valparaiso University. He lives in Northwest Indiana with his wife Natalie and six children.